Skip to toolbar

Reply To: Looking to pull the trigger on a Cortez

Home Forums Discussion Forum Looking to pull the trigger on a Cortez Reply To: Looking to pull the trigger on a Cortez

Moose
Keymaster

Welcome Charles!
Buying any classic motorhome is certainly not for the faint of heart or those not mechanically inclined. You WILL have problems and breakdowns at the most inopportune times! The good thing is that if you can do some things yourself, the coach is pretty basic. Any mechanic who works on classic cars will be able to work on the slant-six engine and it’s components. The suspension is pretty straight forward also, but finding some of the replacement bushings etc, is going to require some research and maybe some fabrication. The killer on the Clark models is the transaxle. This was made solely for the Clark Cortez, and there are no off-the-shelf parts that I’m aware of. If the trans fails, you’ll have to find one from a coach being parted out, or find an old school trans shop willing to tackle it and probably fabricate some parts. Either option is going to be pretty expensive.

Lastly, Although there are still quite a few folks around who are willing to help you with advice and information, the population of long term Cortez owners who have the knowledge of specific repairs is aging (some have already left us). Which is why I created this site, so we could try to preserve as much of that knowledge as possible. I don’t want to discourage you from buying in any way, but you should have full knowledge of what you’re getting yourself into.